This is another project I did almost two years ago now. Once again, it was a quick turnaround for Hatch Studio, when I was last working at PEN Productions. Paul Neale Rigged the ears on the bunny in the two commercial spots the bunny character was used in, while I took care of the rest of the character. I think Hatch did a great job on these commercials, as well as the Kid’s Cuisine spots.Read More
This was a project from close to two years ago now. Time sure does fly. It was a quick turnaround for Hatch Studio when I was last working with PEN Productions. I did all the rigging on the penguin-looking main character, “Kid”.Read More
It was requested that I release my sticky lips setup so people could try to take the solution further. I haven’t spent much time on it since posting about it way back, so I figured I might as well. Only thing I ask of anybody that does further develop this is please provide a link back to my website and keep me up to date on any improvements you have made :)
Click here to download the sample file (Made in 3ds Max 2010, and is of a Sackboy-looking teapot since I do not want to be distributing the model seen below, which is not mine, around the internets)
A video of the effect in action. Special thanks to Craig Hobbs for use of the model:
For now I am just going to do a general write-up of some things I am doing in the file and why I am doing them. It might sound like a tutorial at parts, but I’m more just explaining the general process and thoughts behind the setup. This is not intended to actually be a tutorial, and you may still have to figure some things out on your own.Read More
I have been spending the last little while learning Maya, and have just finished up my first Maya rig. You’ll recognize the character as Shaun, from Shaun Of The Dead. Modeling was done by Stephan Perreault – www.stephanperreault.com
I kept the rig somewhat simple, working just with rigging methods I already knew from working with Max and Maya. The rig is just a body rig at this point in time, although I plan on creating a facial rig for it in the future as well.Read More
This script is still a WIP, and I’m not sure that it will ever officially be considered complete because there seems to be a new problem waiting around every corner. You can see, after the mirroring is done, that on the mirrored leg there is still a few twist helpers not properly aligned and one of the bone chains for the foot are orientated backwards. Solve one and run into another! But, its still fun trying, and it is working half-decently right now, so I thought it would be cool to put together a video of it in action.
The video shows the script processing with a “sleep” command embedded in the for-loop that is mirroring the rig. I put the sleep command in so that you can tell there are no camera tricks with clever cuts being made, as well as to actually have something to look at. Without the sleep it would literally just be me pressing a button, waiting 20 seconds or so, then the other half of the rig appearing magically. Not quite as interesting to watch :)
A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to take a stab at creating the “Sticky Lips” effect. I saw a few tutorials out there, but they were only for Maya and didn’t translate too well to 3DS Max. I decided to play around a bit and try to come up with a method for Max on my own.
After a bit of RnD time I came up with a method for getting the sticky effect. I think the solution is a pretty good one, but I am still working on getting the sticky effect to only be active when the lips are opening. I got something working for the example below, but its not as good as it could be. I plan to continue developing that aspect to try to get something nice and solid.Read More